Sachin Tendulkar was named “Smile Ambassador” for Maharashtra’s Swachh Mukh Abhiyan (SMA), an initiative aimed at promoting oral hygiene across the state, on Tuesday (May 30). The presence of Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde and Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis marked the occasion as they formally signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the cricketing legend.
Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar appointed as “Smile Ambassador” of Maharashtra for the State’s Swachh Mukh Abhiyan.
An MoU is being signed to appoint him as “Smile Ambassador” by Maharashtra government in the presence of Deputy CM Devendra Fadnavis and others. pic.twitter.com/YmtNARG4lB
— ANI (@ANI) May 30, 2023
WHAT IS SWACHH MUKH ABHIYAN?
The Swachh Mukh Abhiyan, abbreviated as SMA, is a component of the Indian Dental Association’s (IDA) national campaign. This ambitious campaign aims to improve oral health and hygiene practises among Indian citizens while also instilling critical knowledge about the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene.
The SMA emphasises five key messages that are the foundation of maintaining a healthy mouth. These essential practises are critical in our pursuit of oral health:
- Brushing Teeth Thoroughly Twice A Day: Brush your teeth thoroughly in the morning and before bedtime with fluoride toothpaste. This simple but important habit aids in the removal of plaque and the prevention of tooth decay.
- Rinsing Mouth After Eating Or Drinking: It is best to rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking. This practise aids in the removal of food particles and the prevention of plaque buildup, thereby maintaining oral cleanliness.
- Adopting A Healthy Diet: A nutritious diet is essential for oral health. The consumption of foods high in vitamins A and C aids in the prevention of gum disease. Concurrently, it is critical to limit the consumption of sugary foods and beverages, as excess sugar can contribute to tooth decay.
- Avoid Tobacco Products: Cigarettes and smokeless tobacco are both harmful to one’s oral health. These noxious substances have been linked to an increased risk of gum disease and oral cancer. Avoiding tobacco products is essential for maintaining a healthy mouth and overall well-being.
- Regular Dental Check-Ups: Visiting the dentist at least twice a year is highly recommended. Regular dental examinations and cleanings help to detect gum disease and dental caries early. These visits are a preventative measure to ensure good oral health.