Ahmedabad: The National Medical Council (NMC) on Tuesday approved two new medical colleges in the state, one at Godhra in Panchmahal district and the other at Porbandar. Each college will have 100 seats for MBBS.
At present, there are 30 medical colleges in the state including private, grant-in-aid and government run colleges. Total availability of medical seats in the state as of now stands 5,500. With these two new colleges the number of medical seats will increase to 5,700 in the state.
Sources said that a total five new medical colleges are proposed in the state of which two have been given the NMC nod. The other three proposed medical colleges are at Rajpipla, Navsari and Morbi.
The two new colleges that have been approved are set up at a total expenditure of Rs 660 crore, Rs 330 crore for each college. Sources said that the Union government will fund 60% of the cost while the remaining 40% has been funded by the state government.
Sources said that the NMC teams had carried out inspection of these two colleges on July 29 and in less than a week the approval had been issued. Sources said that on Tuesday, NMC teams carried out inspection of three other proposed colleges, at Rajpipla, Navsari and Morbi.
Manoj Aggarwal, the additional chief secretary of health and family welfare department, Gujarat, said that two colleges have been approved by NMC today. “Each will have 100 MBBS seats. This will help the state’s students in a big way,” Aggarwal said. He added that the NMC’s nod for three more medical colleges is expected soon.
The new colleges will have facilities such as laboratories, library, hostel, tutors and paramedical staff. Recently, the Gujarat Medical Education and Research Society (GMERS) issued transfer orders to 258 doctors working as teachers in various medical colleges to these proposed medical colleges.