Douyin, ByteDance’s Chinese language model of TikTok, launched an online model of the brief video app on Monday. The mobile-focused content material big is searching for extra progress on desktop.
Why it issues: Douyin is hitting the ceiling in person numbers. In September 2020, the brief video app’s every day energetic customers reached 600 million, which is greater than 60% of China’s general 986 million cellular customers in the identical interval.
- The online model of Douyin extends the app’s attain to desktop customers and doubtlessly poses a risk to established video websites like Bilibili and Tencent Video.
Particulars: Douyin’s net model lacked a few essential options that will have laid the groundwork for its success on cellular. For instance, the cellular app begins enjoying movies mechanically as quickly as it’s opened. Whereas on the web site, customers must click on on the video for it to begin enjoying.
- The homepage of Douyin’s net model options an limitless video scroll. On Douyin’s cellular app, customers see just one video at a time and must swipe right down to get to the subsequent one, much like the TikTok app.
- Just like the cellular app, the web site additionally permits customers to put up movies, make feedback, and like movies. The web site largely hosts the identical content material that appeared on the cellular app. The location options extra horizontal variations of the video, whereas the cellular app reveals extra vertical variations.
- Douyin’s cellular app is powered by ByteDance’s flagship advice algorithm, partly contributing to its success. The algorithm gives customers content material primarily based on their preferences and viewing historical past. It’s not clear if the algorithm is carried out on the internet model.
- The online model was created to host higher instructional content material, which often runs not less than 5 minutes, ByteDance stated in an announcement to TechNode, making it for much longer than the 15-second brief movies that Douyin helped popularize.
- ByteDance stated the web site remains to be in testing phases, and it’ll proceed “optimizing its options.”
Context: ByteDance stated final week that the corporate booked RMB 236.6 billion ($36.8 billion) in income in 2020, up 111% from the earlier yr, Chinese language media Yicai reported.
- The entire month-to-month energetic customers of ByteDance apps reached 1.9 billion as of final yr’s finish, the corporate stated.