The central government has decided to suspend all Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) activities until an Oversight Committee is formally appointed and takes over the day-to-day operations of the WFI. This includes the suspension of any ongoing ranking competitions as well as the refund of any entry fees collected from participants for any ongoing activities.
Meanwhile, WFI Assistant Secretary Vinod Tomar has been suspended in the latest development in the wrestlers’ sexual molestation and harassment protest against the WFI chief and several instructors.
The announcement follows a decision on 20th January by the Government to appoint an Oversight Committee which will take over the day-to-day activities of the WFI. In addition, the Assistant Secretary, WFI, Shri Vinod Tomar, has also been suspended with immediate effect.
— ANI (@ANI) January 21, 2023
Let us have a look at all the major developments that happened in this matter from the beginning.
– Indian wrestlers including medal winners at Commonwealth Games last year, staged a protest at Jantar Mantar on Thursday
– Congress MP Deepender Singh Hooda Thursday demanded a CBI and Supreme Court-monitored probe against WFI
– Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on the matter said: “The safety of our women athletes is very important and we take it seriously. We will not let their morale down. All the issues raised by the athletes will be taken seriously.”
– Wrestlers met Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur on Thursday
– During the protest, Vinesh Phogat said “Will Make Sure Brij Bhushan Singh Resigns & Jailed”
– Rekha Sharma, Chairman of National Commission for Women (NCW) on Thursday said: “NCW has not received a single complaint from any of those wrestlers who’re protesting. If anybody lodges a complaint with us, we immediately conduct a probe & take action.”
– Govt of India sent a notice to WFI and sought a reply within 72 hours
– Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president PT Usha on Thursday said she is “deeply concerned and disturbed” by the sexual harassment allegations by renowned wrestlers against Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, saying the national Olympic body will do everything possible to safeguard the interest of the country’s women athletes.
– WFI President, Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, in Gonda, UP on Friday said “I have not had a talk with anyone yet. I will address a press conference later today. 300 athletes from Haryana have reached here,” while stating that resignation is out of question
– Vijender Singh, the Olympian Boxer & Congress leader joined the protest and demanded CBI probe into the matter
– The government on Friday clarified that they have no right to sack Braj Bhushan Sharan Singh. He is an elected President of WFI.
– Wrestlers from Haryana return from the Gonda Sports event in support of wrestlers protesting against WFI at Jantar Mantar
– IOA on Friday formed 7 Member Committee To Probe Allegations Of Sexual Harassment Against WFI Chief, on Friday
– Wrestlers end protest after govt assurances, WFI chief Sharan to step aside till the investigation lasts
– There is no scope for arbitrariness or mismanagement in the WFI by anyone, including the President: WFI told Sports Ministry on Saturday
– Protesters have acted more in personal interest or under undue pressure to malign and defame present sitting management of WFI: Federation said on Saturday
– Ministry of Sports suspends Vinod Tomar, WFI Assistant Secretary
– The Government of India has decided to suspend all WFI activities until the Oversight Committee is properly established and takes over the day-to-day operations of the WFI.